Tuesday 15 July 2014

More Council of War

Here's a few more low quality pictures, mainly of the second day.

Very poor shot of Dan's Daemon army that I played game one in the cabinet where it had been nominated for best army
 











So what did  think of the whole event.
Well Nick and the GW boys did a great job of organising things, it ran on time and very smoothly, everyone i met was a thoroughly nice chap (or chapess) the food was plentiful and stodgy. The beer was the famous Bugmans "Remorgage Your House" ale.
However overall it it was very much a game of two halves for me, Brian.

Day two was great. 20,000 points of painted Warhammer models clashing over a great big, beautifully modeled table looked spectacular, our opponents were having fun, we were cheering dice rolls, having a laugh and generally not taking things too seriously.
A brilliant day's gaming and everything wargaming should be in my view (possibly minus the hangover).

Day one on the other hand was much more of a chore. In the first three games I was playing against people whose primary motivation (it seemed to me) was to win. They had taken optimised lists with the correct mix of magic items and characters to ensure they were as efficient as possible.
I'd taken the models I liked and had got painted and that fitted my idea of an Orc army. As a result I got pasted (and didn't enjoy myself much) and they had a pretty easy win and racked up the victory points (and I suspect didn't enjoy themselves much as I didn't provide much of a test).
This isn't to criticise my opponents, merely to highlight that there was a gap between our respective objectives for the game. They were all to a man very nice chaps and didn't in any way bend the rules - they just knew them and used them far better than I could. They were looking to play one type of game and I was hoping for another. Had I been at a GT I'd have known what to expect, but looking at this event I thought I saw something different, so having my expectations not met added a little to my overall dissatisfaction with the day.

So I suspect this is the last time I'll attend an organised GW event. What I like doing is putting lots of toys on the table, drinking beer with my mates, rolling dice and shouting hurrah! So if I want to be sure that's what happens I've got to sort it out for myself.
I've now got 2500 points of painted Orcs and Goblins - so the next stop will be to get that to 3,000 for some bigger games. Then maybe try and find a scout hut or room above a pub and get seven or eight like minded souls together to replicate the awesome fun of Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Tom,
    I would be very happy to drink beer and push figures around with you.
    Not sure about WFB though, I do have a couple of old school armies but don't have a clue how it works these days or an inclination to play.
    How about a SCW event themed around eating Tapas and drinking Estrella Damm or San Miguel while playing Chain of Command :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant post. Summed up the weekend very well!

    ReplyDelete