Tuesday 31 March 2015

Empire Crossbowmen

In the loft I also discovered these things lurking in a cobwebby corner.
They're the "hybrid" metal and plastic Empire crossbowmen (6th edition WFB or thereabouts). Metal arms (and some windlass things and pouches) on the plastic Empire state troop bodies.





Very nice Perry sculpts, but an absolute arse to put together.
Fortunately past me did that ten or so years ago to save future me (or actually now me as it turns out) the pain of gluing heavy, slightly roughly cast white metal to fine plastic.
I was so thoughtful back then.
But ten years on I still remember the pain I went through.

There were a few more, including command, with them too, but twelve seemed about right, and anyway who uses command for missile troops?

Quite looking forward to painting them (though I need to locate a head for one of them).

6 comments:

  1. Looking good already! I look forward to seeing these painted....Empire are the best figures produced by GW in my humble opinion...excellent find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I remember the pain too - soo fiddly and the hand gunners were no different. I made both box sets up and then lost interest in them - they still remain in the boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I remember the handgunners were even worse!
      I think I have a bag of the metal arms for them somewhere, but thankfuly I've also got plenty of the one piece plastic ones.
      Tom

      Delete
  3. I always paint a command for completeness and the look of it but rarely use anything beyond the leader on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigel Stillman once wrote an article about painting Witch Elves and said you ad to start with the command, as it wasn't a unit without them.
      And usually I agree, but for smal units of missiles I tend not to bther.
      Tom

      Delete
  4. These actually look quite natty!

    ReplyDelete