Monday 14 September 2015

Crusader Greeks

Both my boys have a fascination with Greek mythology - inspired by the very jolly Percy Jackson series of books. Small boy in particular has been keen to turn this into tabletop action and earlier this year I purchased Of Gods and Mortals from Osprey when they were selling it cheap. Since when I've been acquiring a selection of Reaper Bones models to use as the Heroes in the game. I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics of the Bones range  - they're what I would class as an "American High Fantasy" style - very 70s and D&D in my view. However they're very competitively priced, they have a broad range of "classical" monsters and they're surprisingly detailed given the material they come from. This is a side project for the small boy to play really, so I wanted to keep it cheap. The official range from Northstar is very good, but expensive for something I'm lukewarm about and the boy will grow out of in a matter of months.
However for the mortals I knew I did want to get some of the lovely Crusader metals. Chum John fancies playing some Greek stuff one day, so maybe these can do double duty. Eventually.
So down to Northstar I pottered on Friday and said hello to Nice Mr Nick.
Anyway, here they are WIP.
White undercoat and base colours applied.


The spearmen will be in white (possibly with blue - for Poseidon - trimmings) and they'll be the core of the lad's mortals. The archers are split with us each having four.


The brown ones will join the white clad hopilites.


While the red ones will join a unit of 8 Foundry Naked Spartans (no idea) that have sat half painted in my loft for many moons.

8 comments:

  1. A good start to a greek adventure interested to see how myths and mortals plays as it is a game I might be interested in having a go at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's based on Song of ... which I like as a game engine, with a few tweaks for flavour.
      I'm not personally sold on the background "Gods fighting Gods - why?" but for Geek god versus Greek god I think it'll be fine.

      Delete
  2. They look very jolly. And welcome back to blogging I was starting to worry about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking like a good start. I really enjoy Of Gods and Mortals, I think its a really underrated. Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We had a (God free) game at the weekend and quite enjoyed it. I like SoDS and SBH, so it's a familiar engine.

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I've avoided being sucked into OGAM, and Frostgrave for that matter, but have fallen completely down the rabbit hole for Warhammer and 40K. I'mtrying tostrike the right balance with my boy. It appears I am too pedantic about "rules" for his taste. He just likes to roll dice at this point.

    ReplyDelete